Sunday 22 February 2015

REVIEW: Vidal Sassoon Salonist - Medium Intense Red #1

Hi everyone!

A few months ago I registered as a Savvy Circle Member on supersavvyme.com and signed up for the Vidal Sassoon Project to try out and experience the new range of salon quality colours at home with Vidal Sassoon Salonist.

A couple of weeks ago I received an email to say that I had been chosen as one of 3,000 other savvy circlers to be sent a Vidal Sassoon Salonist Starter Kit and last week it got delivered - that was such a good morning! 


The Starter Kit contained 10x £1 off coupons, a Vidal Sassoon towel and 4 boxes of colour - 1 for me and 3 to share with friends and family. The 4 colours that I got were Medium Neutral Blonde, Medium Intense Red, Darkest Intense Violet and Light Neutral Brown. With me being a redhead, I obviously chose the Red for myself and luckily when I received this kit my hair was in desperate need of some attention. So as soon as I opened my kit, that was my day planned out - it was time to get rid of my roots!




I don't usually colour my hair myself, it's my Mum who does it as she is a hairdresser - handy I know! But I wanted to give this a try myself to see if it really was as simple as it was advertised to be, with just a 2 step method of treating the roots and then blending through the lengths and leaving for 30 minutes to achieve a salon look at home with salon techniques.

I have to admit I was already aware of the this method use by colourists - because of my Mum. The reason you treat your roots and lengths separately is because the hair at the root is untreated and is less porous, therefore the roots will require more colour for a longer period of time and the lengths have been coloured before so are more porous, meaning that they colour quicker.


What's in the box?
  • Rich Colour Cream ('G' tint Illumina technology)
  • Activating Lotion
  • Brush & Bowl
  • Serum
  • Conditioner
  • Black Nitrile Gloves 
  • Leaflet

The first thing I want to say about the contents of the box is that I was so impressed that there is a brush and bowl, I don't know of any other home hair colouring kit that give you this. It makes the whole process so much easier and makes you feel like a bit of a professional - which I suppose is what they are going for with this product. 

Another thing that I liked about what you get is that the conditioner is in a tube with a lid, if you use home hair colouring kits like I do then you will know that normally you just get a little sachet that in between washes falls over in the bathroom and leaves your conditioner all over the cupboard or the bath - so annoying! But with this tube with a lid, it stands up on it's own, doesn't fall over and there is no mess! 

Oh and usually the gloves that you get are those types that are always far too big and make it difficult to section your hair because the gloves are almost falling off, with this kit you get a pair of proper professional gloves that actually fit and make it possible to feel and section your hair properly. 

By this point, my first impression of this product was brilliant so I was even more excited to start colouring!

As you can see in the picture picture below, before I used the hair dye I had roots that were about an inch long, the colour had faded it just looked dull and lifeless. 



Even the mixing is simple, the bottles and tubes have either 1 or 2 on them so it's clear which you use first. Add the Rich Colour Cream and Activation Lotion - they both have 1 on the front - and mix together.







All you do now is use 2 thirds of this mixture on treating your roots, the instructions clearly explain and illustrate how to do this. But I can't stress to you enough just how easy this is, having the brush really does make it so simple not only for the application but you can use the tail end of the brush to separate your hair into sections.

One thing I would say is that the back can be quite tricky to do yourself, so if you think you would struggle then make sure you have a friend to help you out.









That's step 1 done and it only took me about 15 minutes, now for step 2. Add the Serum to the remaining third of the mixture and combine.



This is what you treat your lengths with and it is as simple as scooping the mixture into your hands and massaging it through your lengths and ends - this literally took me less than 5 minutes!


Just twist it into a bun onto the top of your head and secure with a clip, all that's left do now is wait 30 minutes, so put the kettle on and have a cuppa.



Yet another thing that I was impressed with is that during the 30 minutes, the colour didn't irritate my head, almost all of the other brands I use make my head itch like crazy!

After about 30 minutes, it's time to rinse and wash with your usual shampoo and then with a squeeze of this conditioner.


Look NO ROOTS! Such a brilliant coverage, the box said 100% grey coverage - I don't have grey but my roots were pretty bad and they are no more. 



After using the conditioner, my hair smells sooo good I couldn't stop smelling my hair afterwards and you get hit with the gorgeous smell every time your hair moves - things like that make me very happy! 

I'm not sure you can really tell in the photographs but my hair was left looking and feeling ever so soft, nourished and shiny more so than any other brand I have used, I am sure this is to do with the conditioner. 

My hair usually knots and tangles so easily but the day I coloured my hair and the next day my hair was pretty much tangle free, it was just so bloomin' soft! 

I am so pleased with the colour, it's just as described and illustrated on the box. I have had so many compliments on my hair colour since using Vidal Sassoon, which obviously makes me feel good but also makes me want to purchase it again. 




After 1 Week and 3 washes, using the conditioner that came with the kit each time the colour is still as vibrant and my hair is still shiny and looking healthy.

I will keep you posted with how long the colour lasts, how much it fades and how quickly so keep your eyes peeled the second part of this review. 



Have you tried Vidal Sassoon Salonist?

xxx














No comments:

Post a Comment